Marilyn Eze graduated from the University of Nigeria and the Nigerian Law School with second class upper degrees. She has an LLM degree in International Commercial Law, with Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation focus, from the University of Warwick, as a recipient of the prestigious British Chevening Scholarship.
PROFILE OF MRS. MARILYN C. EZE
FCIS, LLM (Warwick), MCIArb, CGA
Getting To Know Me…
Getting To Know Me…
- My name is Mrs. Marilyn Chinwe Eze. I graduated with two second class upper degrees from the University of Nigeria and the Nigerian Law School and was best graduating student in Environmental Law.
- I have an LLM degree in International Commercial Law from the University of Warwick, UK, with Distinction in Corporate Governance and Arbitration.
- I am a Fellow of ICSA of London (2016) and Nigeria.
- I am an International Finance Corporation (IFC) Certified Corporate Governance Trainer.
- I am an ICSAN Licensed Corporate Governance Auditor/Board Evaluator.
- I am a member of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb, UK) since 2010.
I am humbly vying for Council Membership with the following antecedents and transferrable skills and I promise my time in Council would not be any less.
- My current role as Senior Commercial and Legal Advisory in a subsidiary of NNPC involves providing Corporate Governance advisory and steering
the Company towards robust legal compliance and profitability. I have over extended periods covered the role of Company Secretary/Legal Adviser.
- I am on the Advisory Board for Lagos Court of Arbitration – Young
- I am Legal Adviser, Chevening Alumni Association of Nigeria, a global body of scholarship beneficiaries of Nigerian descent by the British Government’s Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office.
- Former Company Secretary/Legal Adviser of Gas Aggregation Company of Nigeria (GACN), a JV comprising of NNPC, Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron and Total.
- I was Technical Adviser- Legal, in the Gas to Power Unit of the Presidential Taskforce on Power (PTFP).
- My work experience includes top 10 London City and “Magic Circle” firms like the Corporate, Merger & Acquisition Department of Slaughter and May. I worked in the Infrastructure, Energy Resources and Projects
department and the Corporate, Merger & Acquisition department of the transatlantic global law firm; Hogan Lovells LLP, being one of five competitively selected participants in UK, for the firm’s bespoke “Africa
LLM Scheme”. While at Stephenson Harwood LLP London, I worked in the Commercial Litigation Department of the firm’s Africa & India Group gaining significant International Arbitration experience.
- I was Chairperson of Young Member’s Group (YMG) of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb, UK), Abuja Chapter in 2016.
- Former Head Board Matters and Ad hoc Committees in a Public Sector Energy Company
- Senior Counsel in the Nigerian Law Firm of Chris Uche (SAN) and Co.
RECIPIENT OF THE FOLLOWING AWARDS AND COMMENDATIONS;
- I received Commendation Letter of NNPC Management for the successful launch of its new Lubricant range of product. As Alternate Team Lead for the Lubricants Project Team, the multi-billion-naira project saw to the successful market launch and product entry of NNPC range of lubricant engine oils; “NNPC Nitro” and “NNPC Rhino”, I performed key legal roles, drafting a myriad of bespoke contracting, as well as coordinating other non-legal project activities.
- I am a recipient of the prestigious Chevening Scholarship Award from the British Government.
- I received the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office Award for my role as an Enterprise Mentor to young people for young people engaged in business start-ups under the auspices of the Princes Trust Charity, UK.
- I received a Commendation Letter of the Speaker of the UK House of Lords; RT Hon. the Lord Fowler, having received an invitation to spend a day at UK’s House of Lords and participate in its Chamber Debate on “UK’s International Relations in the 21st Century”.
- I have been recognized as one of Africa’s 50 Most Promising Arbitrators – 2020 Award by the Association of Young Arbitrators.
- I represented Nigeria as a Forum Delegate at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting held in UK in 2018.
To demonstrate my deep passion in ICSAN’s affairs, I have participated in the following;
Participation at ICSAN;
- I am a contributory Author in ICSAN’s forth coming hand book.
- I have facilitated several in-plant trainings in Abuja for the Institute.
- I was Chairman of the Electoral Committee for ICSAN Abuja Chapter’s 2020 Elections; midwifing the smooth transition of current executives for Abuja Chapter.
- I was a facilitator at the Abuja ICSAN’s inaugural Mandatory Continuing Professional Education (MCPE).
- I have networked for the Institute in various Public Sector fora resulting in an increased membership by experienced and practicing Governance Practitioners.
- I was a member of the Corporate Governance Committee, Abuja Chapter.
- I have participated at National events such as Annual General Meetings, Governance Roundtables and MCPEs.
- I have given financial support and participated at Chapters events including periodic members’ meeting and Quarterly Governance Breakfast Sessions.
Parts of the interview of Marilyn Eze by the UK Cabinet Office, aired at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (April, 2018) can be viewed at:https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/law/newsandevents/?newsItem=8a17841b617 a575901618a06b63c622d